Thursday, March 31, 2011

Betsy Caram Update "...if I want to continue making right choices, I will have to take the long view of life."

This is an example of taking Christianity beyond the theoretical and making it practical. We all hope that when we come into great trials of life we will be able to meet the challenge and rise above, however, we really never know for sure until we find ourselves in a prison that we cannot get out of. I appreciate Sis. Betsy’s testimony and the grace of God that comes forth in her email updates and I hope to be able to rise to the challenges of life myself by surrendering to His kind and gracious hand to get me through… please continue to pray for our dear sister.


From: Betsy Caram 
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:43 AM
Subject: Latest update

Number six chemo treatment has come to a close, and I am now 3/4 through. There are only two more to go, PTL!  The end of all this is now in sight, and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Since I already knew the probability of joint pain being a part of this newer regiment of chemo drugs,  I began taking pain medication immediately after my last chemo treatment and it really helped to keep the inflamation and pain to a somewhat bearable level this time. Fatigue, intestinal problems and pain still persisted, but I am learning through this long process to praise the Lord anyhow. 

As the many weeks of discomfort have dragged on in this trial, I have really been considering the Scripture in James 1:2 about "counting it all joy" when you find yourself in situations that are not very pleasant. J. B. Phillips translation says it like this: “When all kinds of trials and temptations crowd into your lives, my brothers, don’t resent them as intruders, but welcome them as friends!” Besides the rather interesting concept of treating pain like a friend, I couldn't help but also notice the exclamation point at the end of the Phillips translation.  This kind of reaction to trouble and suffering can only be explained as a  “supernatural” response. It is not natural” to find joy in hardship; yet that is the whole point to this passage, isn't it? Therefore, James is not talking about a “natural” reaction. He is talking about a “supernatural” reaction made possible by the Holy Spirit who enables us to see and to respond to our particular difficult situation from God’s point of view. For even in His humanity, Christ,   the perfect, sinless Lamb of God, endured the utter shame and contradiction of Calvary because of "the joy that was set before Him!" (Heb.12:2).

So the way I see it, "counting it all joy" is a conscious choice I must make during this time of suffering. Truthfully, it is probably a choice I will have to make again and again and again in this life. And, if I want to continue making right choices, I will have to take the long view of life. I will have to understand that what I am enduring now is not the final chapter of the story. So by God's grace I am making a conscious choice to view my struggle with cancer as something that is allowed by the Lord, as well as something that is necessary for my spiritual growth. If the creative God of the Universe is living inside of me, and I believe He is, then I want to be able to see my life's circumstances from His perspective and His point of view, not just from my own limited, earthly,  human viewpoint. This has truly been my desire since the beginning of this "adventure" with cancer. I really want to understand completely what it means to "count it all joy!" Why? Because suffering joyfully in this life seems to be a noble step up from grumbling, complaining, and having a bad attitude toward God when things don't go the way I want them to go. That is why I take comfort in knowing that through all of this, the lessons I am learning on suffering are part of the journey toward a more noble and less self-centered me. I must confess that I have not always passed the test of being thankful in all my difficult situations.  

The most important thing in my life is my relationship with the Lord; so if suffering has deepened my commitment to Him; if it has strengthened and enriched my life, if it has taught me lessons that I could learn no other way—then how could I challenge any measure of suffering I have had to experience? Are there times when I would have wished it all away if I could? I can assure you there were moments when I did just that! Yet I would not trade this experience with cancer  for any thing in this world, because I truly believe it has been worth the ground I have gained. The experience of knowing the Lord on a level I had never thought possible is worth more to me than mere words can express at this time. 

All of that said, I am very aware that I could not have responded so willingly if not for your prayers and wonderful gestures of friendship and love, so I thank you once again for all you have done for me during these weeks of a stressful life. 
Much love,
Paul and Betsy

No comments: