Saturday, April 27, 2013

Behold, I Stand at the Door and Knock!


This morning I had a pleasant experience, something I have not experienced for years. The Lord woke me up by a sound of knocking. I remember years ago the Lord used to watch over me when I was on third shift, frequently while I was on my break I would dose off (since it was the middle of the night). I worked alone so there would be no one there to wake me up when I did fall asleep and so the Lord would cause a noise in the building I was working in and it would be just as my break was ending. It could be a creak from the building, a pop machine compressor kicking on or a broom that just suddenly fell over. One way or another I was very conscious of this and I actually gained a moderate amount of confidence that if I accidentally dozed off He would wake me, this went of for several years. 

Well, for the last four or five years I have been endeavoring to get up at five am to spend time in study and to write commentaries on various books of the bible. It is generally a grand time for me to sit with my coffee and to read and write my commentaries; generally God allows the waters to flow so it is very fulfilling to me. Yesterday, however, I just felt I would stay in bed, catch up on rest and I thought very little of it (I confess I have done this before) and so when the alarm went off I simply ignored it and allowed myself to fall back to sleep. This morning, however, about 2 minutes before my alarm went off I heard what sounded like a distinct knocking at the door and it was loud enough to wake me; of course I jumped from my bed ran to the window to see who could be knocking and I saw no one, so I hurried to see who was at the door and there were no cars outside and no one at the door. Puzzled by this I scratched my head and went to see what time it was and just as I looked at my clock my alarm went off! I realized at a moment what had happened, God wanted me up, out of bed and at my rightful place. This did not annoy me at all but rather thrilled me because I realized this time of study and writing is what I must do and it is something God wants me to do, so much so that He woke me in time to do it, right at the very hour! 

Is this a simple testimony? Yes, but what a thrill for me to know what it is He wants me to do, especially when it brings such joy to do it. God has a track He wants all of us to run on, things He is pleased we should do. If you have not already done so why not ask Him to reveal it to you and ask Him to support you in it. When we all come to the end of our life and we stand before Him what a pleasure it will be to know we have done what He wanted us to do!

No comments: