Sunday, April 09, 2006

BROKEN CISTERNS Part III

Other Broken Cisterns

Besides loving the things of this world there are other broken cisterns and I want look into them.  It is important that we see with the eyes of the Lord the following verses so we can see what God is warning His people about.  The prophet picks up this theme again in Chapter 9: Jeremiah 9:23-24 “Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, [the fountain of living waters] that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.” We see three other broken cisterns, human wisdom; human strength or abilities and the false security of money and wealth.


MIGHT

The prophet also listed strength as a broken cistern; 1 Corinthians 1:26-27 “For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty” The weak things of this world to confound the things which are mighty; it is a sign of Gods favor on your life when he touch's your strength or ignores your talents. He might touch our strength by giving some physical limitations, he could do it through pressures, He could do it through people who have authority over us. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 10:12 “Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.” God has to bring us at times to the end of our strength, so we don't swell with self-confidence.

I am sure you remember what Jesus, the Son of God told everyone; John 5:19 “Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.” Also, he continues later in the same chapter; John 5:30 “I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.” Later in the book of John he further drives home this point; John 8:28  “Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.” The Lord was trying to make his disciples understand that the power He possessed was the result of His submission to His Father.  It was not of Himself; His own strength or His own might (although He was the Son of God); it was His dependency on His loving Heavenly Father.  The point is further illustrated for us in John 15:5 “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.”

We want to come to the place where we know that in ourselves we can do nothing.  Why is this so important?  It is because man is so easily lifted up in pride and arrogance; the fallen nature wants to be recognized and praised for its accomplishments.  That posses a problem for the Godhead since 1 Corinthians tells us in v: 29 “That no flesh should glory in his presence”. Also, 1 Corinthians 1:31 states “…He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.” As true believers let us glory in the Lord; He is our fountain of living water!


May God truly bless each and every one of you.
Rev. Frank R Anderson

No comments: