Sunday, April 09, 2006

BROKEN CISTERNS Part IV

Other Broken Cisterns

Besides loving the things of this world there are other broken cisterns and I want look into them.  It is important that we see with the eyes of the Lord the following verses so we can see what God is warning His people about.  The prophet picks up this theme again in Chapter 9: Jeremiah 9:23-24 “Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, [the fountain of living waters] that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.” We see three other broken cisterns, human wisdom; human strength or abilities and the false security of money and wealth.

RICHES

1 Timothy 6:17 “Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;” Note the phrase “uncertain riches”; this is clearly a broken cistern. Sometimes one can get caught up saying, “If only I had lots of money to do what I want, and then I would be truly happy”. One might consider that the same as saying: “If I had all the money I wanted then I wouldn't have to trust anyone for my daily needs!” Yet, in actuality riches are quite uncertain, they can come today and go tomorrow without warning.  The Lord Jesus, however, is very certain, very stable and is worthy of our devotion and trust.  Let me illustrate this by something that happened to me. I well remember a time when I was pastoring a small church in New York. The church was too small to give us a living wage and the job market in the area was very depressed so I could not find a decent job. During my time there I was brought to a place where I literally did not know where the money was going to come from to pay for our rent, utilities and daily necessities.  I was so overwhelmed by this burden of how to provide for my family that in the middle of the night I was driven into the woods to cry out to God and weep before Him; while kneeling in the woods in the middle of the night I simply got one phrase, “I am your loving heavenly Father and I will take care of your needs”.  At the time it was almost impossible to see how God would provide, I might have said that if I had a lot of money right now I would be happy but in truth there were other ways God was going to make me rich; rich in faith and trust and I would learn how to lean on the arm of my beloved. We did not have any extra but God provided for our every need even to this day!  I didn’t need more money; I needed more grace.

Paul also said this to Timothy:  1 Timothy 6:6-8 “But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.” Don't become caught up in vain pursuits, riches are snares, seek the one who is the fountain of living waters.  1 Timothy 6:9-10 “But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.” Don't fall in love with money; it will bind you.  The best policy is this; don't allow yourself to trust in bank accounts and money, learn to walk in loving obedience to the Master and see the hand of the Lord provide for your daily needs.


May God truly bless each and every one of you.
Rev. Frank R Anderson

No comments: