Friday, September 10, 2010

Proverbs Chapter One Continued... Wisdom pleads with man

23 "Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you".

Turn at my reproof…turn at my reproof! Do not be stiff necked and self-justifying, wisdom's counsel is to repent and choose another course once you hear her warning! O’ how many pastors, elders and brethren have been grieved when they have warned and warned only to have their counsel pushed aside while those they warn begin to go into self-justification and denial. We, who desire to be seekers of wisdom, must listen and heed her instruction; she warns (many times through earthly agents) and we must respond.

Wisdom is one of the seven Spirits of the Lord (Isaiah 11:1-2) and she loves those who love her (Proverbs 4:5-6), the Spirit of wisdom is poured out upon those who embrace her (Proverbs 4:7-9) even when her counsel is a rebuke. How do we know if we are a seeker of wisdom and we love her counsel? If we turn at her reproof and we obey her wise counsels...

24 "Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;"

Proverbs 1:21-30 is really an ominous warning to those who ignore the entreaty of wisdom. One insults her by giving no weight and credibility to her entreaty; they have sealed their own fate because in the day of their calamity she will stand by and watch while they eat the fruit of their own ways and everything in their life comes apart. At that point it is too late to benefit from her wise counsels. We want to earnestly seek the Lord for the ability to perceive wisdom when it is being spoke through the voice of experience, O’ how much is to be gained by the seasoned saints who have already walked in the counsels of God during times of great trial and temptation. “Lord, give us a hearing ear to know when to speak and when to be silent, what to embrace and what to scorn”!

No comments: