Monday, October 25, 2010

Ecclesiasties Chapter One... We must remain humble before the Lord.


16    I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.

"I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem..." We detect here Solomon had a little problem with pride; what he is saying is somewhat reminiscent of the pride of Nebuchadnezzer in Dan 4:29-30. Such boasting is not glorifying to God 1 Cor 4:7 "...And what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?". Solomon seems to have lost the humility he once had when he asked God for the wise and understanding heart (1 kings 3:7-12). When God gives one a great gift or talent or ministry there needs to be great humility.

17    And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.

"And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly" - Solomon erred greatly in judgment, in fact, one marvels that a man of such wisdom could have concluded that one could mix wisdom and folly. Simple math tells us that if you add two numbers together you get a product of the two. Wisdom plus madness can equal nothing but confusion or vexation.

"I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit." – its no wonder he was vexed, wisdom and folly do not mix any better than oil and water, they are complete opposites! Unfortunately many saints go down the same road today trying to hold on to godliness and worldliness but the two are opposites and do not mix. Trying to mix Christ and the world will never produce godliness, it will always produce disappointment and vexation.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really appreciate reading your blog Pastor Frank. God Bless.

Witness For the Word said...

PJZIONCA,

I appreciate you taking time to comment. Much Thanks! I personally appreciate yours and your wife's ministry. Thanks for time spent on the Armor of God book!! You guys did a superb job...

P.Frank